Trans Day Of Visibility Events
- Sunday, March 28 from 1-2:30 pm, the North County LGBTQ Resource Center will be hosting a Trans Day of Visibility virtual event on Facebook Live. Join The Resource Center to hear keynote speaker Scott Turner Schofield, other dynamic speakers, music, Q & A, and more. Watch on the Resource Center’s Facebook Live or YouTube channel.
- Tuesday, March 30, 5:30 pm PST—PFLAG National is offering a live Q&A with the creators of Becoming Johanna on Facebook and YouTube. Becoming Johanna is a compelling story that follows the struggles transgender teens face every day. It will be available to millions of households across the country on PBS later this year.
- Wednesday, March 31 (Trans Day of Visibility), PLFLAG National is launching #TransKids #SoFierce as a way for families and allies to build up trans kids by sharing positive support—while letting lawmakers know they can’t get away with anti-trans bills. To participate, share why YOU think #TransKids #SoFierce on Instagram, Snapchat, Amino, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, or TikTok. Tag @PFLAG or use the hashtag #PFLAG and encourage others to join you, too! For more info, sample posts, and FAQ, go to https://pflag.org/press/pflag-launches-transkids-sofierce/
About those anti-trans bills …
Did you know that 41 bills in 25 states have been proposed just this year to limit or outright ban transgender youth from participating in school sports? These proposed laws are fueled by discriminatory and untrue narratives that claim banning trans youth from athletics “protects” girls and women athletes. The reality is that trans-inclusive sports policies don’t harm cisgender youth. But banning trans youth from sports deprives these already-vulnerable kids of the many valuable benefits of participating in athletics and can instead lead to increased isolation, anxiety, and depression.
The time to act is now, since many of these bills are close to being passed by state legislators. California doesn’t have any, but there are some ways you can take action:
- Educate yourself by reading up on the issue. The website them. has some great articles, some of which are linked below
- Sign up on PFLAG’s site to Protect Trans Kids, then share the action page on social media
- Tell family and allies living in states where these bills are being proposed, such as Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, South Carolina, and Wisconsin to call their state legislators and governor opposing this anti-trans legislation based on fear and misinformation.
- Sign up for future alerts from PFLAG National by going to https://pflag.salsalabs.org/
signup/ and checking the Advocacy box
More Anti-Trans Bills Have Been Introduced in 2021 Than Any Year in History
Trans Inclusion in School Sports Doesn’t Hurt Cisgender Girls, New Report Finds
Anti-Trans Sports Bills are a “Solution” to a Problem That Doesn’t Exist
73% of Americans Oppose Laws Banning Trans Girls From Women’s Sports
Over 500 Student Athletes Condemn NCAA’s Silence on Attacks Against Trans Youth
New AAPI Support Group
PFLAG San Diego County is excited to announce the launch of our newest support group. With the help and feedback of our community, we are launching our AAPI Support group for families, friends, and LGBTQIA+ folx with Asian, Pacific Islander, & South Asian heritage or affiliation. We will be holding our first group on Sunday, April 11th at 3pm. We will kick off the meeting by screening, A Love Letter, a short film produced by our neighbors at PFLAG San Gabriel Valley Asian Pacific Islander Chapter. For more info, fill out our General Interest Form or check out our Facebook page! You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to register for the Zoom meeting.
Links: General Interest Form, Facebook Event
It’s Never Too Late to Become a Member
Thank you to those members who have renewed their membership for 2021. We are looking forward to receiving more renewals or first-time members. Your membership donations are used to provide support, education, and advocacy on behalf of our LGBTQ+ community, their families, and friends. They enable us, among other things, to provide monthly support group meetings, an info line, newsletters, scholarships, educational brochures.
Please renew your memberships with PFLAG San Diego County instead of through PFLAG National. If you renew locally, $15 of it is sent to PFLAG National, but if you renew at the national level, there is no benefit for our San Diego County chapter.
The membership registration is on our website, https://www.pflag.com/
A Groovy Moovie Revioo…
By Vicki Luna (She, Her, Hers)
Bob’s New Suit
This 2011 surprise find centers around Bob’s family. His sister, dad, mom, scattered others and a ne’er-do-well cousin round out the motley crew. Dad and mom have a BIG secret which reveals itself slowly but oh so intriguingly! PFLAG-wise I liked this film a lot because it doesn’t make a huge deal about the rainbow person in the family but rather portrays them as they always were…a much loved and necessary piece of the nuclear family puzzle…even if it takes a certain someone a bit of time to realize, learn and grow into it. And how does Bob’s suit fit into all of this you might be wondering? Well…He’s/it’s our opinionated, and colorful narrator!
Starring Haley DuMond, Jenny Shimizu and Shay Astar…it can be found on Amazon Prime Video.
Our condolences to the family of Ann Dumanis, who passed away February 12th. Ann and her husband, Abe, came to their first PFLAG meeting in 1994 in support of their daughter, former District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis. Ann was a member of PFLAG San Diego County for 27 years and rode with her daughter each year in San Diego’s Pride Parade.
NOTE: Some support groups have changed since last month
Individual support groups will continue to meet virtually, as well as the monthly virtual Countywide Support Group meeting. We encourage you to contact your support group facilitator at any time, as they will remain excellent resources for information. The support group locations, dates, and times will continue to be posted on the PFLAG San Diego County Facebook page. You can join in any of the digital meetings. For Zoom links, contact each support group.
Do You Shop On Amazon?
If you have an account with Amazon, you can help our chapter every time you shop. Go to smile.Amazon.com and search for PFLAG San Diego County. For every purchase, our chapter will receive .05% of the dollar amount of the order. This may not sound like a lot, but it adds up with the more people we have participating. Now that more of us are ordering online than ever due to the pandemic, it’s the perfect time to use Amazon Smile to support PFLAG.
PFLAG envisions a world where diversity is celebrated and all people are respected, valued, and affirmed inclusive of their sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression
By meeting people where they are and collaborating with others, PFLAG realizes its vision through: Support for families, allies and people who are LGBTQ; Education for ourselves and others about the unique issues and challenges facing people who are LGBTQ; Advocacy in our communities to change attitudes and create policies and laws that achieve full equality for people who are LGBTQ.